- Install java (JDK not JRE). (Download binary from java.sun.com, add executable permission, run, move resulting directory to /usr/local or similar.)
- Install apache2.
- Get Tomcat binary from tomcat.apache.org and extract to /usr/local/
- Set an environment variable CATALINA_HOME to the path of the directory into which you have installed Tomcat 4.0. And another JAVA_HOME to the path of the directory into which you have installed Java.
- Execute the shell command: $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
- Check Tomcat works on port 8080
- Install jk2 connector (
sudo apt-get libapache2-mod-jk2)
- Copy /usr/share/doc/libapache2-mod-jk2/examples/workers2.properties.minimal to /etc/apache2/workers2.properties adding in your own config
- Uncomment line in /etc/apache2/mods-available/jk2.conf
- Place your Tomcat-related code in CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT or other appropriate directory. Restart everything.